Florida Lawn Care Tips and Tricks for Beginners
New to lawn care? If it feels like there’s a lot you don’t know, don’t worry. We have over fifty years of experience helping people get the most out of their lawns, and in this blog we’ll share some of the most important Florida lawn care tips and tricks we’ve learned.
Water Your Lawn the Right Amount
Here in Florida, we have two primary weather types: sun and rain. The amount of rain your lawn gets week to week can vary considerably, so it’s important to keep track of how much has come down recently. Without enough water, your grass will wither, brown, or die. On the other hand, it’s possible to overwater your lawn and end up with problems like fungus, mold, and rot.
The first step is to find the correct amount of water for your lawn. To do so, keep a close eye on wilt. If the grass blades start to fold lengthwise or hold onto footprints, you’ll want to increase your watering. A spongy texture likely means that you are overwatering and will want to cut back a little. If you are struggling to find the sweet spot, consider working with a professional to set up the right watering schedule for your lawn.
To get the best results, also remember these watering tips:
- Always water between 3-9 AM to prevent evaporation
- Change your watering frequency with the weather
- Conserve water by turning off your irrigation on rainy days
- Always follow local ordinances during water restrictions
Tips and Tricks for Mowing
If you want your lawn to look neat and tidy, a regular mowing routine is a must. Yes, it’s a fairly straightforward process, but there are a few important things to keep in mind so your grass is always healthy. Try following these mowing guidelines:
- Sharp blades cut best: Mowing with dull blades risks tearing and ripping the grass, which gives it a ragged appearance and makes it harder for your lawn to heal and grow. Try sharpening your mower blades after 20-25 hours of use. When you do this, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines or get professional help.
- Don’t cut it all the way down: Leaving at least 2 1/2″ of length will ensure your grass always has enough surface area to properly photosynthesize. If you cut your lawn too short, it won’t be able to grow properly or establish a strong root system. Figure out which type of grass is in your lawn to determine the correct minimum height.
- Don’t mow too often: Frequent mowing may seem like a good idea, but it could actually be harmful to your lawn – while wasting your time. If you mow too often, your grass won’t be able to get tall enough to establish deep, healthy roots. Most fast-growing lawns only need to be mown once per week, though you’ll want to watch your growth rate to determine the right frequency. Try not to cut more than 1/3 of the blade’s length at a time.
No Lawn Pests Allowed
Lawn pests can cause serious issues in your yard, from unsightly dirt mounds to widespread death or disease. Additionally, infestations can spread incredibly quickly, which makes them a lot more difficult to eradicate. Keep an eye out for these common signs of lawn pests:
- Live insects or eggs
- Burrows or dirt mounds
- Damaged or chewed-up grass
- Strips or patches of dead grass
When it comes to pest control, it’s always best to get professional help rather than attempting a DIY solution. Pests can cause major damage, and they only get more difficult to remove as the infestation spreads. A skilled pest control specialist will be able to eliminate them quickly while creating a customized plan to protect your yard long-term.
Stay Ahead of Weeds
Weeds are more than just a cosmetic issue for your lawn. Serious outbreaks could deprive your grass of water and crucial nutrients, which could lead to grass death or disease. Since weed control is such an important part of lawn care, it’s important to look out for these common weeds here in Florida:
- Dove weed
- Bull thistle
If you’re struggling with weeds in your lawn, don’t hesitate to contact a professional. Weed control can be a tricky and time-consuming process, and improper solutions could cause damage to your grass. An expert will be able to create a custom treatment that is safe, environmentally sound, and effective.
Seasonal Lawn Care Tips and Tricks
As the weather changes, so should your approach to lawn care. Updating your lawn care regimen will ensure your grass is healthy no matter the season. Here are some general guidelines to follow depending on what time of year it is:
Spring Lawn Care
Spring marks the start of the growing season, which means you’ll want to make sure your grass has everything it needs to stay healthy and strong. At the start of spring, consider:
- Sharpening your mower blades
- Aerating and fertilizing
- Setting a regular mowing routine
Summer Lawn Care
With the hot sun beaming down, summer is probably the most stressful season for your lawn. To keep your grass healthy through the heat, try:
- Increasing your watering
- Inspecting for pests
- Mowing regularly with sharp blades
- NEVER fertilizing in the heat
It’s also important to prepare your property for hurricane season, which begins on June 1st. Though some damage is inevitable during a storm, you can increase your yard’s safety by regularly pruning nearby trees and storing your gardening tools indoors.
Fall Lawn Care
As cooler weather settles in, your grass will slow down in terms of growth and you’ll no longer need to follow a strict summer care routine. Follow these tips as temperatures drop:
- Stop mowing and watering as frequently
- Regularly rake up leaves and debris
- Consider aerating and overseeding
Winter Lawn Care
Florida weather is fairly warm in the winter, so most lawns here don’t go fully dormant, but they do slow down and don’t require nearly as much mowing. With increased precipitation, you can also cut back on watering during this time of year.
Local and Trusted Florida Lawn Experts
Lawn care doesn’t have to be challenging or time-consuming. And you don’t have to manage it all alone! With the help of a professional lawn care specialist, you can enjoy a healthy and beautiful yard without having to buy new equipment or spend hours outside. Whether you want help with a fertilizer treatment or need reliable weed control, the experts at Bug Out have you covered!
Our skilled team of specialists strive to deliver exceptional and long-lasting results. From pest control to fertilizer treatments, we offer a full range of environmentally friendly lawn care services. We also personalize each treatment plan to provide you with the best in quality and price.